Residential Burn Permits
You must get your permit from either Truckee Fire Protection District or CAL FIRE. Truckee Fire Protection District stations are located at 11473 Donner Pass Road, 10049 Donner Pass Road or 10277 Truckee Tahoe Airport Road which is a combined Truckee Fire Protection District and CAL FIRE station. Burn season occurs every year when the Fire Chief of Truckee Fire Protection District lifts the burn ban (somewhere around October 15 until the burn ban is enacted (somewhere around June 15). The burn season is dependent on fuel moisture and weather conditions.
IN TAHOE DONNER DEBRIS BURNING IS ALLOWED FROM THE TIME THE TRUCKEE FIRE CHIEF LIFTS THE BURN BAN TILL DECEMBER 31, DEBRIS BURNING IS NOT ALLOWED IN THE SPRING OF THE YEAR.
Terms for burning:
- Before burning, call Northern Sierra Air Quality Management District at (530) 582-1027 to see if it is a permissible burn day.
- Maximum pile size 4 foot in diameter.
- Area within 10 feet of the outer edge of the pile is maintained free and clear of all flammable material and vegetation.
- Responsible person in attendance with shovel until fire is dead out.
- Water supply at burning site.
- No burning shall be undertaken unless weather conditions (particularly wind) are such that burning can be considered safe.
Commercially manufactured gas and charcoal barbeques, smokers, and commercially manufactured fire burning devices, such as outdoor fireplaces and chimineas, equipped with screening and/or spark arrestors, with a maximum screen opening of 1/8th inch, to prevent the escape of sparks and coals, and operated in compliance with the Town of Truckee and the Truckee Fire District’s safety and building codes, and according to the manufacturer’s instructions, on private property lots only, will be allowed.
Property owners wanting to build their own permanent barbeques or other outdoor fire burning devices equipped with electricity or gas, must obtain the appropriate Town of Truckee building and plumbing permits and build to the Town’s building codes. The appearance design and location must be approved by the Tahoe Donner ASC if any part of the permanent structure is over 3 feet high.