Tahoe Donner Association (TDA) was established in 1971 with the construction of private homes and multiple family units beginning in the spring of that year. 45 years later, TDA consists of 5,791 single family lots (4,983 lots developed), 127 multiple family lots (114 lots developed), 799 undeveloped single family and multi-family lots and 7,000 acres of land. As the association ages, maintaining the high quality of our community includes communicating and working with homeowners to address appearance issues.
Currently the Architectural Standards Office (ASO) performs compliance activities through positive engagement patrols. The compliance inspector covers all 68 miles of road in Tahoe Donner on a monthly basis and identifies, on average, 75 percent of all new compliance-related violations. The other 25 percent of compliance-related violations are generated by neighbor complaints. While staff does look for obvious violations when conducting street inspections, management has not had a systematic initiative to gain access to homeowner property for inspections as allowed by the Homeowner Defensible Space Program. Recognizing the fact that the association facilities and homeowner properties are aging, goals and objectives were identified in the Strategic Plan 2010-2015 to begin addressing both.
As a part of Strategic Plan Goal 4, work began this last year in developing a proposal to bring to the board of directors which would call for inspections of existing homeowner properties over a regular schedule as well as inspections of homeowner properties as they change hands in ownership or in the family. The board of directors discussed the plan at board meetings from July 2012 through September 2012; membership comments and feedback were considered during this period. At the September 2012 board meeting the board of directors approved moving forward with the program. The focus will be on providing education to homeowners on the association’s program while identifying properties whose exteriors may be in need of improvement to keep with association standards. Emphasis will be placed on compliance, not on punitive measures.
STRATEGIC GOAL PLAN 4: Establish an engaging approach to maintaining association community, architectural, convents, and communications standards.
Homeowner Property Inspection Program
Preserve the appearance of Tahoe Donner homes so as to maintain home values in an aging community.
There are two parts to the program:
Part 1: The program will be implemented on a unit-by-unit basis beginning with Unit 7. Approximately 250 homes in that unit are scheduled for exterior inspections of the view from the street. This is not new to existing operations, rather a codification of existing practices and a systematic approach to view the entire association beyond member complaints.
Part 2: A full 360-degree exterior inspection will occur after a property transfer. This part of the initiative is new and allows the association to address any exterior compliance issues at rate of 250-500 homes per year.
Inspections will focus on the following elements:
- Does structure have any damage?
- Is structure in need of staining or painting?
- Quality of roof
- Any maintenance needed; missing shingles?
- Does metal roof need repainting?
- Chimney cap or flashing need maintenance?
- Garbage Can Enclosure (GCE) or Animal Resistant Garbage Can Enclosure (ARGCE)
- Is there an ARGCE or a wooden enclosure?
- Maintenance issues?
- Does structure need painting or staining?
- Is exterior lighting compliant?
- Are any fixtures broken or in disrepair?
- Are flood lamps aimed downward?
- Are all visible deck or stair brackets painted?
- Check for any illegal structures (additions, fencing, sheds, etc).
- Does gas meter have adequate protection from potential snow load? If meter already has a shed for protection, is it painted to blend in with the house?
Implementation and Inspections:
The Tahoe Donner compliance inspector will conduct inspections beginning in February 2013. Notification of inspection results will be mailed to the owner. If your home passes the initial inspection, you will be notified by postcard and no further action will be required. If your inspection indicates that action is needed, we will give a reasonable timeline to address outstanding repairs and deferred maintenance to meet the Minimum Maintenance Standard.
Enforcement of the program will be supported by existing Architectural Standards and Covenants Rules and Regulations.
Program administration will be assigned to the ASO along with the Architectural Standards and Covenants Committees, and is scheduled for launch in February of 2013.
Call the ASO office at 530-587-9406 or email Tahoe Donner’s compliance inspector at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or to obtain more information.
To request a Homeowner Inspection online through OneStop please click here.