Golf Repair + Replacement Project 2020Association News, Capital Projects, Golf, Member News
JANUARY 2020 UPDATE
Tahoe Donner members get special pricing when they book early at partner resorts. See early booking rates at Old Greenwood and Gray’s Crossing here.
DECEMBER 2019 UPDATE – MORE GREENS ARE GROWING!
OCTOBER 30 UPDATE – THE GRASS IS GREENER!
Your greens grass is growing strong! Check out these photos of the greens that will be placed on the Tahoe Donner Golf Course in 2020.
YOU ASKED, WE LISTENED!
REPAIRING THE TAHOE DONNER GOLF COURSE IN 2020
After much member feedback and years of planning, Tahoe Donner is moving forward with the Tee and Fairway Repair Project and Greens Replacement Project scheduled to begin in 2020. Thanks to the members of the Golf Course Subcommittee for all their hard work in turning member feedback for an improved course into reality. We are excited about the direction of focus for the improved course which will result in enhanced playability, improved pace of play, an enriched mountain golf experience and more.
THE PLANNING COMMITTEE
In 2018, the Tahoe Donner General Plan Committee (GPC) received letters from the men’s and women’s golf clubs that outlined golf course needs and requested feasibility studies and implementation plans for an improved course. They recognized that the last major course improvements were made in 2006-08.
In response to the letters, the GPC formed a Golf Subcommittee and their first meeting took place in February of 2018, and they’ve been busy! Since their formation they have developed a scope of work, refined priorities based on a wetlands delineation study, provided scope to course designers for budget estimates, presented to the Tahoe Donner Board of Directors, analyzed costs and generated strategies.
The last major course improvements were made over 10 years ago, and while the general rule for the replacement of greens is 20 years, we have been able to utilize our greens for over 40 years. It’s time for a reset.
Eight years ago, we recognized that the golf course fairways and other course components weren’t accounted for in the Replacement Reserve Fund. Since then, we have saved and with a combined budget of over $2 million we are now able to address our golf course greens and other important course repairs to maintain our members’ championship course quality.
We are honored to work with celebrated golf course architect Cary Bickler at Cary Bickler, Inc. Last year, Cary celebrated 50 years as a golf course architect. An expert in golf course restoration, Cary has overseen improvements for the Tahoe Donner Golf Course in the past as well as multiple courses up and down the California coast, including La Jolla Country Club and the Camp Pendleton Marine Memorial Golf Course.
REPAIR + REPLACEMENT HIGHLIGHTS
- Improved turf conditions and playing surfaces
- Increased player shot selections
- Expansion of forward tees
- Better drainage
GET ON THE GREENS IN 2020
While we anticipate a course closure for the 2020 golf season, Tahoe Donner management is partnering with regional courses to offer discounted green fees and season passes to offer more value for your golf experience next summer. Deals include:
Gray’s Crossing + Old Greenwood
- $500 off Unlimited Individual, Couple and Family Season Passes
- $180 off Individual Value Pass
- $240 off Couple Value Pass
- $300 off Family Value Pass
- Up to $75 off daily green fees
See early booking rates for season passes
Offering 10 packs for $900 to Tahoe Donner members.
Resort at Squaw Creek
Early bird pass pricing on season passes for the entire season for Tahoe Donner members and a daily rate of $50 per round (savings of up to $69 depending on time of day and season). Learn more
Nakoma Resort invites Tahoe Donner members to bring their golf games to the Lost Sierra for the 2020 season and receive special round rates — and a complimentary adult beverage! Less than an hour from Tahoe Donner is Nakoma, home of the friendlier Dragon golf course. Enjoy a round of play then continue your Nakoma experience at Altitude, the resort’s fantastic lifestyle center featuring heated pool, hot tub, climbing wall, Bistro + Bar and more!
Tahoe Donner Member Specials:
• $65 weekday single round of golf
• $75 weekend single round of golf
• Day pass to Altitude Recreation Center
• One complimentary wine or draft beer
• 10% discount for foursomes
Tahoe Donner membership card must be presented at check-in. Rates not applicable with tournament play. See complete details here.
Grizzly Ranch Golf Club
Offering discounted season golf passes for $1,899 or day rates for $115 or $99 after 11AM.
Check back for more deals from other local courses as they come in. The driving range will be open for the entire 2020 season.
- Hole #1: Enlarge two forward tee boxes and import soil.
- Hole #2: Expand and relocate the upper forward tee box and move soil.
- Hole #4: Add contours that will add visual interest and challenge players. Raise the high point of the mound for improved balance. Enlarge two forward tee boxes.
- Hole #5: Enlarge the green tee box.
- Hole #8: Improve depth perception from the tee to the dogleg right fairway by reconfiguring mounding. This will also help disguise the cart path from view at the tee. Enlarge two forward tees.
- Hole #10: Improve the drainage in the fairway landing area for improved playing conditions. Install sub drainage, import sand and sod fairway.
- Hole #11: Eliminate cart path and reshape area resulting in a wider fairway, improved aesthetics and playability and transforming the hole into one of the most beautiful holes on the course.
- Hole #12: Widen and enlarge the silver and green tees. Install block retaining wall and stairsteps. Cover with on-site native stone veneer.
- Hole #15-A: Redesign first landing area and add mounds on the right side of the fairway. Re-grade to soften fairway tilt.
- Hole #16: Widen the back tee. Install a concrete block retaining wall and stairsteps. Cover with on-site, native stone veneer. Improve golf cart traffic wear and tear, regrade the fairway subgrade and cap with sand. Expand green and blue tee boxes.
Learn more about the Golf Course Tee and Fairway Repair Improvement Project on the board documents page – September 21 Regular Board Meeting, Item 6.