XC Snowmaking Project
Tahoe Donner is considering adding snowmaking to our operations at Tahoe Donner Cross Country (TDXC) so that members can experience the best possible conditions every winter. Currently in the planning and review stage, new snowmaking operations could go into effect as early as this year.
WHY ADD SNOWMAKING?
We want to provide the membership with an insurance policy for skiing at TDXC during low snow and drought years and when there are storms at high elevation. Ski days can be severely impacted when we experience a winter with little precipitation.
This investment also protects key association revenue, which can stabilize overall dues and costs.
WHAT ARE THE IMPACTS?
Short-term impacts include construction that will be conducted during the summer months, which will not impact cross country ski operations. There will be minimal impact on summer trail use.
All earthwork trenching for required infrastructure will be conducted on existing soft covered roads to minimize disturbance.
WHAT IS THE TIMELINE?
• Demonstrations and member outreach: Winter 2020
• Final design and planning: Winter 2020
• Environmental review and permitting: Winter-Spring 2020
• Phase 1 + 2 construction pending board approval and environmental clearance: Summer-Fall 2020
• Enjoy open trails: Winter 2021
• Phase 3: TBD
WHAT IS THE COST?
Project is currently in planning phase. All project phase(s) and costs are subject to board of directors review and approval.
Project Cost Estimates:
• Phase 1 (Planned for 2020): $540,000
• Phase 2 (Planned for 2020): $275,000
• Phase 3 (Future Project): $155,000
Phase 1 and 2 costs include approximately $150,000 for snowmaking guns and hoses.
• $8,000 for generator and compressor rental
• Approximately $2,000 per 1.5km of trail coverage
RETURN ON INVESTMENT (ROI):
After phase 2 completion, conservative estimates of $200,000+ ROI per low snow season, which translates to less than 5 low snow years to recoup investment.
DAYS OF OPERATION AT TDXC:
Average season length: Open 136 days
2017-2018 (low snow year): Open 65 days
2014-2015 (drought year): Open 31 days
2013-2014 (drought year): Open 80 days
PROVIDE FEEDBACK: We want to know what you think! Send feedback on this project to email@example.com.