FAQs Regarding Voting in Board Elections
Do I have to be a full-time Tahoe Donner resident to vote in the election?
No. Individuals owning property in Tahoe Donner are entitled to one vote per parcel owned, e.g., a single-family residence or an unimproved lot. It is a requirement that you be the member of record as of the date ballots are mailed, this year on May 25.
Do I have to be a registered voter in the town of Truckee to vote in the Tahoe Donner election?
No. Your primary residence for general voter registration does not have to be your Tahoe Donner address in order to vote in the association election.
At what address will I receive my ballot?
Ballots are mailed to the address on file in the Accounting Office. This is the same address used for mailing annual assessment notices.
How do I update my address?
Update your address in the member portal. Additionally, you may contact Member Services at (530) 587-9400 ext. 0. or the Accounting Office if your permanent mailing address has changed.
When should I expect my ballot to arrive?
Ballots are mandated to be mailed at least 30 days in advance of the Annual Membership Meeting which occurs this year on June 26. Election packets will be mailed this year by May 25. Election updates, including notice of the ballots being mailed, are published in weekly eblasts as well as in the monthly Tahoe Donner News magazine. The best way to stay informed of all important dates related to the election is to subscribe to the weekly eblast, which is sent every Tuesday. If you are not currently subscribed, sign up at tahoedonner.com/subscribe.
How do I return my ballot?
Mail: The easiest way to return your ballot is to use the prepaid return mail envelope included in the voting packet. It is addressed to the accounting firm Tahoe Donner uses to tabulate the votes. There are strict requirements related to enclosing the actual ballot in a ballot envelope, which is then placed in the return envelope. The outside of the envelope must be signed by the property owner in order to count. Ballots mailed to the accounting firm must be received by 5PM on June 24, 2022.
In person: Ballots may also be returned in person to the Inspector of Elections at the open board meeting that takes place on Friday, June 24 between 9AM-5PM. The final chance to submit a ballot in person is from 10AM-11:30AM during the annual meeting on June 26. Specifics on how the association will manage the process will be provided closer to the June 24 and 26 dates. Updates will be communicated using the weekly eblast and the Board Election webpage.
PLEASE NOTE – THERE IS NOT A DROP-OFF BOX IN MEMBER SERVICES. MEMBER SERVICES STAFF CANNOT ACCEPT HAND-DELIVERED BALLOTS. THEY MUST BE HANDED TO THE INSPECTOR OF ELECTIONS OR DESIGNEE AT TIMES SPECIFIED ABOVE.
I lost my ballot or did not receive one. What do I do?
Contact the Administration Office at (530) 587-9431 Monday-Friday, 8AM-5PM, or contact the Elections Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I own more than one property in Tahoe Donner. As such, I have received more than one ballot. Can I return all the ballots in thet same envelope to save on postage?
No. To be counted, each individual ballot must be returned in the envelope that includes the unit and lot number preprinted on the outside. If more than one ballot is returned in the envelope, it is impossible to know if the voter is entitled to more than one ballot based on property ownership or if the ballot was obtained in another way. If more than one ballot is received in an official envelope, only one ballot is counted.
How can I find out more information about the candidates?
There is a number of ways the Elections Committee facilitates getting information to the membership about each individual candidate. They include:
- A written candidate statement is solicited from each candidate as soon as they are deemed eligible to run for the board. These statements are posted online and included in the election materials sent to all members. Candidates are encouraged to include an email address on the statement so members can contact them directly with questions or concerns.
- All candidates are invited to record a short introductory video and provide an official candidate photo and personal campaign website address (if applicable) to be included on their personal Tahoe Donner candidate webpage.
- One virtual Candidate Meet and Greet is scheduled during the campaign period. Candidates are able to respond to members questions asked during the Zoom meeting and articulate their campaign platforms. This session will take place on June 4 at 6PM.
- One formal, virtual Candidates Night Forum will be held on May 28 to allow each candidate to answer the same questions so that members may compare candidate responses and help to inform their vote. Members are asked to submit topics by May 20 to the Elections Committee mailbox. The committee will then review all topics submitted, identify common themes being raised and develop the topic set for the forum. This forum is moderated by the Inspector of Elections or designee, livestreamed and recorded for posting on the website.
- The most direct way to contact the candidates if you have questions is via their email address and their personal campaign website.
If you don’t see your question answered here, please submit it to email@example.com.