Equestrian enthusiasts have even more reasons to be excited about horseback riding and boarding at Tahoe Donner Equestrian Center this summer. The center, which is open to the public, is located at the Alder Creek Adventure Center that opened in November 2015. An investment of $6 million was made in building the new state-of-the-art-facility that also houses Tahoe Donner Bikeworks in the summer and Tahoe Donner Cross Country Ski Area in the winter. Over this past spring and into early summer, highly anticipated improvements will enhance equestrian operations further, including:
- 60’ diameter round pen and footing in the round pen – great for easy unloading and loading of horses
- Varying sized boarding paddocks in the shade that are more private
- Seven tack sheds – tack sheds are in place next to the boarder paddocks
- Seven water utility pedestals with power located throughout the new campus – water is now available every 30 yards
- Horse trailer turnaround area, which goes around the round pen
- New pad for the caretaker trailer to park. Bonus: the caretaker trailer now runs off of power instead of a generator
- New holding pen area for trail ride horses
- New loading area and staging area for trail rides
- New area for hay
- New pony station in the shade
- New pony trail in the shade that is less dusty and longer than the old pony trail
- New perimeter fencing
- New signage throughout operation
One of our new tack sheds for boarders.
The 60’ diameter round pen.
One of seven water utility pedestals.
The equestrian operation has never looked better. Guests are encouraged to visit and experience all of the upgrades firsthand. Tahoe Donner Equestrian Center offers trail rides and pony rides by reservation every Wednesday – Sunday between 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. with the last ride leaving at 3 p.m., in addition to offering private lessons and private family dinner rides in scenic Euer Valley. Throughout the season, equestrian events are also offered, including:
- Cowgirls and Cocktails, which features an early evening trail ride followed by beer, wine and appetizers, scheduled for July 29, Aug. 19, Sept. 2 and Sept. 23
- Saturday Night BBQs, which are a family favorite filled with an evening of games, crafts, contests, dress up, pony rides and delicious food, scheduled for July 16 and Aug. 6
- Pancakes and Ponies, a family event that includes a pancake breakfast and a pony ride for children, scheduled for Aug. 13, Aug. 17, Sept. 3 and Sept. 17
The Alder Creek Café, housed inside the new Alder Creek Adventure Center, serves fresh salads, paninis, wraps, and more with organic and locally sourced ingredients when possible. It is open daily throughout summer. The adjacent Trailside bar offers happy hour, small plates and specials, plus live music on Saturdays.