Timeline and Key Documents
Over the past several years, the project has worked its way through the Capital Projects process. This includes multiple independent studies to determine the facility needs and optimal functionality of the space. Some key milestones are shown below:
- Near finalization of value engineering potential
- Awaiting environmental review (CEQA) from the Town of Truckee
- Project questionnaire sent out to membership via mail; submission deadline January 31
- February 16 special board meeting to address questionnaire – watch meeting recording here
- March 16 special board meeting – watch meeting recording here
- April 4 special board meeting to discuss proposed ski lodge sizes – view information here
- April 23 meeting to approve ski lodge size – read update here
- June 13 final application submission to Town of Truckee Planning Department
- Town of Truckee deemed application complete on August 12
- Staff continue to work with the Town to clarify project aspects after review
- November – design development phase complete
- December – Reviewing for value engineering potential (looking at ways to reduce costs that don’t impact the member experience or operations)
- Dec. 16: Staff provided an update at the regular board meeting – watch meeting recording here
- Close Pros Consultants member survey
- Share survey findings at the January 22 board meeting
- PROS Consulting develop proforma based on survey findings
- Select Bull Stockwell Allen (BSA) out of San Francisco, CA as the design team, who are moving forward with the conceptual design
- April 29 special board meeting to discuss pro forma and conceptual design with the membership – watch meeting recording here
- BSA and Pros Consulting present at May 28 board meeting to continue plan and design discussion with the membership. Board approves moving to 30% design phase – watch meeting recording here
- Pros Consulting submits draft business plan for review
- BSA to host Open Houses in July and August
- Staff to host online Ski Lodge Monthly Member Meetups the second Tuesday of every month beginning in July
- September 8 special board workshop to discuss design updates, usage data and more with membership – watch meeting recording here
- October 22 board meeting to adopt motion moving into 30% design – watch meeting recording here
- December 1 special board meeting to discuss advisory questionnaire – watch meeting recording here
- December 13 continuation of special board meeting
- December 17 continuation of special board meeting
- DHS Lodge Task Force launched (spawned out of GPC DH Ski Subcommittee
- Spring/summer Ward Young Architects engaged to perform programming analysis
- Formally adopt Downhill Ski Lodge Task Force Charter (Task Force) by board; key task force achievements:
- Develop starting point for comfortable carrying capacity for lodge at 1,000 skiers
- Develop sizing criteria for board workshop
- September 2020 open Board Workshop with Ward Young to discuss analysis and next steps
- Board directs staff on a lodge sized around 22,00 to 26,000 square feet
- The design team, based on crucial member outreach and previous studies, will develop a conceptual plan that meets the needs of our membership; this phase will include the potential cost
- Hire PROS Consulting to complete thorough outreach program, data gathering and consolidation, business plan development and eventual lodge design support
- Host member outreach effort to gather member data and feedback
- Release member survey based on data gathered from focus groups
- Send Architecture and Engineering request for qualifications (RFQ) to potential design teams
- Gather current user statistics and complete lodge needs analysis by staff
- March – Final Draft amenity master plan prepared by DH subcommittee.
- Perform ski resort benchmarking analysis by the subcommittee
- December: Board of directors approves replacement of the ski area lodge over a remodel
- Decision paper includes Taskforce benchmarking summary
- Begin member discussion groups through Downhill Ski Resort Subcommittee
- Complete independent study by Ecosign Ski Industry Master Planning Consultant and present report to the board – Lodge @ 28,000 sqft, mile run, snowmaking, snowbird lift
- Approve project analysis decision paper by the board, allowing the project to move to phase 3 in the Capital Projects Process
- General Plan Committee created Downhill Hill Ski Resort Subcommittee
- Lodge Expansion Architectural Feasibility Report by Todd Gordon Mather (TGM) completed
- Lodge Expansion Structural Feasibility Report by Linchpin Structural Engineering completed
- Engage with Ecosign Ski Industry Master Planning Consultant
- Begin membership communication process
- Dec. 16, 2022 – Board Meeting Presentation
- Sept. 23, 2022 – Board Meeting Presentation
- June 13, 2022 – Planning Department Submittal
- April 23, 2022 – Board Meeting Presentation on Ski Lodge Design Options and Selection
- April 4, 2022 – Board Meeting Presentation on Ski Lodge Design Options
- February 2022 – Member Questionnaire Findings
- December 2021 – Special Board Meeting on December 1, 13 and 17
- November 2021 – Monthly Member Meetup video
- October 2021 – Board Meeting Presentation
- October 2021 – Staff Report on 30% design
- October 2021 – Monthly Member Meetup recap with additional responses to frequently asked questions
- October 2021 – Replies to questions and comments from September 8 workshop
- September 2021 – Letter from board president about decision-making process
- September 2021 – Special Board Workshop BSA Presentation
- September 2021 – Special Board Workshop Staff Presentation
- July 2021 – Dedicated email explaining potential off-season use, sizing, budget, other projects and Open House events
- May 2021 – Updated BSA Conceptual Planning
- May 2021 – Updated Pro Forma Review
- May 2021 – Task Force Input to the Board
- April 2021 – Introductory Presentation
- April 2021 – BSA Conceptual Planning
- April 2021 – Pro Forma Review
- Jan. 2021 – Community Engagement Findings
- Jan. 2021 – Downhill Ski Lodge Task Force Update
- Dec. 2020 – Architectural and Engineering Request for Qualifications
- Sept. 2020 – Ward Young Architecture and Planning Downhill Ski Lodge Building Program Refinements Study (includes recommendation for size and configuration of spaces for new lodge)
- Dec. 2019 – Decision Paper to replace Downhill Ski Lodge
- Dec. 2019 – Information Paper to replace Downhill Ski Lodge
- May 2018 – Downhill Ski Resort Decision Paper to move the project to Stage 3 of the Capital Projects Process (Conceptual Design)
- April 2018 – ECOsign Technical Assessment and Resort Concept / Master Plan
- June 2017 – Information Paper to update the board of directors on the process of hiring a master plan consultant for the Downhill Ski
TASK FORCE 2021 PROJECT WORK
This portion of the Lodge Replacement webpage is dedicated to documents generated and referred to in 2021 by the Lodge Task Force, which was launched in January of 2020.
- September 2021 – Meeting Minutes
- January 2021 – Working with PROS Consulting, staff, management and BSA for conceptual design work
HOW TO PROVIDE FEEDBACK
You may provide feedback via our online form. Member feedback is an important component in the process of rebuilding the ski lodge, and we hope all interested members participate.
Task Force Analysis + 2020 Project Work
This portion of the Lodge Replacement webpage is dedicated to documents generated and referred to by the Lodge Task Force, launched in January of 2020. Thus far, this section contains material used by the Task Force from inception up to the board workshop in September 2020. Documents are listed in chronological order for readers to capture an understanding of the analytics and critical thinking made by the Task Force through the year.
- Skier Visit History 1-18-20: Staff developed this skier visit table that shows the skier visit numbers for every day of the ski season. The Task Force used this to develop what the peak period days were and the number of days per season that those days occurred.
- Downhill Ski Usage per Day 2-17-20: This table provides a summary of the ski visit history table above. The table was used to show how many days the resort exceeds certain capacities per season (700, 800, 900, 1000, 1,100, 1,200, 13,000). It also references snowfall volumes, showing how varying snow years impact ski resort use.
- Task Force Update to GPC 3-2-20: The slide deck provided the General Plan Committee (GPC) an update of Task Force progress as well as introduced a timeline for staff to engage a third-party architectural firm to drive a lodge programming analysis.
- Lodge Sizing Task Force Decision Criteria Consolidation 3-19-20: The Task Force documented the sizing criteria ideas.
- Lodge Sizing Task Force Criteria Summary 3-19-20: Bulleted summary of the Task Force Decision criteria ideas.
- Ward Young Task Force Meeting Update on Scope of Work 4-6-20: Ward Young Architects updated the Task Force on the firm’s scope of work. Details of the discussion can be read in the corresponding minutes.
- Ward Young Task Force Update 5-4-20: Ward young updated the Task Force on programming analysis and schedule.
- Ward Young Working Paper 5-13-20: Ward Young generated a working paper containing study assumptions that would ultimately drive the programming analysis.
- Best Operating Practices 5-14-20: This brainstorming list was generated by the Task Force. The list is not meant to be a polished document but one ensuring that best practices are accounted for by the Task Force when reviewing the programming effort.
- Ward Young Planning Criteria Questions 5-18-20: Generated by Ward Young. The document provided baseline planning criteria for the programming effort. The Task Force provided feedback/input.
- Ward Young Update to Task Force on Draft Programming Analysis Report 8-5-20: Ward Young presented their draft programming analysis as well as Staff’s take on reducing service levels/carrying capacity enough to reduce square footage estimates to 26k sq. ft. This review provided the basis from which Ward Young could prepare for the Board workshop.
- Downhill Ski Lodge Board Workshop 9-14-20: Board workshop summarizing final Ward Young programming analysis, Task Force member final sizing opinions, board sizing discussion and approach moving forward. The final Ward Young report is attached to this website.
Task Force Agendas
- September 2020 – Ward Young Architecture and Planning Downhill Ski Lodge Building Program Refinements Study (includes recommendation for size and configuration of spaces for new lodge)
- April 2018 – ECOsign Technical Assessment and Resort Concept / Master Plan
- April 2017 – Linchpin Structural Engineering feasibility report for remodeling existing Downhill Ski Lodge
- April 2017 – TGM Architect preliminary feasibility report for remodeling existing Downhill Ski Lodge
Committee Meeting Minutes
- January 17, 2020 Minutes
- March 2, 2020 Minutes
- April 14, 2020 Minutes
- May 4, 2020 Minutes
- June 1, 2020 Minutes
- August 13, 2020 Minutes
- September 14, 2020 Minutes
- October 5, 2020 Minutes
- December 7, 2020 Minutes
- January 4, 2021 Minutes
- February 8, 2021 Minutes
- March 8, 2021 Minutes
- June 29, 2021 Minutes
- August 17, 2021 Minutes
- September 29, 2021 Minutes