Lesson Helpful Hints
TAHOE DONNER DOWNHILL SKI RESORT IS CLOSED FOR THE SEASON. SEE YOU NEXT WINTER!
Tahoe Donner Downhill Ski Resort specializes in teaching first-timers and novices and is committed to being the best place for family fun and learning in the Tahoe region. Here are some tips to make your experience as enjoyable as possible:
- Purchase a ski or snowboard package (includes lift ticket, lesson and rental equipment) online or onsite. Reservations are highly recommended.
- Children must be potty-trained and able to use bathroom independently. Pull-ups are not allowed.
- Meet at the appropriate learning center 10 minutes before your lesson starts.
- Be sure to receive your child claim-check and have it with you when picking up your child at the end of the lesson.
- Please keep in mind that ski lessons are physically demanding. Your child must be willing to ski without parental interference. We recommend a hearty breakfast to start the day.
- Allow up to two hours of preparation on weekends and holidays so you can make it to your lesson on time. Allow a least one hour on weekdays/non-holiday before lessons to be fitted with rental equipment.
- Be sure to wear appropriate clothing for skiing and riding. REQUIRED ITEMS FOR LESSONS: gloves, eyewear and helmet (helmets are included in lesson packages). Other essentials include a jacket and snowpants. This will help make their first experience great!
- Parents must remain at Tahoe Donner Downhill Ski Resort throughout the entire lesson. Parents can watch their child’s lesson, ski/ride, take a lesson or enjoy the sundeck, fire pits, cafe or lodge. Parents may not leave the facility while their children are taking lessons.
- Ask questions! Our staff is here to help and will do everything possible to make your day on the slopes a memorable one.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Safety, fun and learning!
- Half-day lessons (ages 5 + up): 1 hour 45 minutes of skiing (breaks will be given if needed)
- Full-day lessons (ages 5- 12): up to 5 hours of skiing with a lunch break (extra breaks will be given if needed)
- Snowflakes (ages 3-4): 1 hour 15 minutes of skiing (breaks will be given if needed)
- Parents who wish to watch their children in class should watch from a distance so the child’s attention can remain on the instructor.
- Remember in a group lesson that all children learn at different paces. Weather conditions play a big part in learning.
- Please arrive 10 minutes early to pick up your child if you would like to talk to your child’s instructor.
- Be supportive and encouraging with your child no matter how they do in class.
- Each child will receive a ‘report card’ at the end of the day so that parents will know what skills were worked on in the class. Instructors will also make suggestions for the next step of instruction.
- Please note that these lessons are physically demanding. We recommend a hearty breakfast before skiing and riding. Participants will be on the snow and engaging in active outdoor activities.
- If your child is enrolled in an all-day lesson and has food allergies, please communicate your concerns when making the reservation and when you check in.
WHAT TO BRING
- Sunscreen above SPF 15
- Appropriate layered clothing and waterproof outer layers
- HELMETS ARE REQUIRED (helmets are provided in lesson packages)
- GLOVES ARE REQUIRED (we recommend waterproof gloves or mittens, and if it is snowing, consider bringing a second pair)
- GOGGLES ARE REQUIRED (we recommend goggles on windy or snowy days or sunglasses on a sunny day)
- A snack to put in your child’s pocket
CHAIRLIFT USE IN SKI SCHOOL LESSONS
- Before riding any chairlift, the instructor may give the guest instruction on how to load, ride and unload the lift safely. Instructors may use a practice chair to demonstrate proper technique.
- Children may ride the chairlift with an adult, another child or alone, based on instructor recommendation.
- Ski school lessons will always use the bar when riding a chairlift.
- We may load ski school classes as one large group of chairs.
- The Code of Conduct is enforced for all age groups.