Water Conservation: What is Your Role? – As you are aware California is experiencing a severe drought. Governor Brown signed into effect emergency drought regulations this spring with subsequent updates and more rigid prescriptive restrictions effective June 1. Truckee Donner Public Utility District, as Tahoe Donner’s water supplier, has put into effect their water conservation regulations and program. Their target for water conservation, as set by the state, equates to a total 28% reduction in usage on 2013 water usage. TDPUD’s regulations and programs apply to private residence and commercial operations such as Tahoe Donner. See Frequently Asked Questions.
Tahoe Donner and its staff, that’s you and your employees, need to take a proactive approach in water conservation efforts to assist in achieving water conservation targets.
For Tahoe Donner to reach a 28% water usage reduction target, operations will need to reduce use by approximately 10 million gallons of water for the year. To aim for this, the company needs you and your staff to help reduce water waste and usage through a multitude of behavioral changes, as well as capital improvements.
To address for improved reduction in percentage of water use/waste, this is what is planned:
1. Golf Course –The golf course will be completing capital projects with regards to irrigation heads for greater efficiency and efficacy. Additional coordination on turf treatment will be applied, e.g. time of watering on Tuesdays and Fridays, etc.
2. Trout Creek – A capital project will be proposed to replace all shower dials with push button reducing length of showers, removal of outdoor shower, long-term = reduce/remove grass in playground area.
3. F&B – F&B Management to review kitchen prep practices, reduce running water during prep. Dishwasher full wash only. Water is only served when requested (new CA law!)
4. Marina – A capital project will be proposed to replace all shower dials with push button reducing length of showers, f&b management review of kitchen prep practices, reduce running water during prep. Dishwasher full wash only. Water is only served when requested (new CA law!)
5. Campground – A capital project will be proposed to replace all shower dials with push button reducing length of showers. Wash machine; review and possibly replace with high water efficient machine if needed
6. Association wide- Spicket head replacement in public areas to trigger dial.
7. Landscape watering association wide on 2xper week watering as was practiced last summer; and replacement of sprinklers in beds to drip system.
8. Leak detection – audit of all facets, hose bibs, etc. for drip/significant leaks = repair
Water conservation mindfulness is key to savings!