Be Bear AwareAlder Creek Adventure Center, Association News, Featured, Member News
Bears have been very active at our facilities recently, including swimming in the Trout Creek pool, breaking into Alder Creek Adventure Center, stealing cookies from a car and wandering onto the playground at Northwoods Clubhouse.
BEAR PREVENTION TIPS
The main cause of human-bear encounters is food related. Here are some tips on how to prevent attracting bears:
- Ensure all trash cans are secure or in the garage at all times.
- Ensure your windows and doors are locked in the evenings to prevent overnight bear break-ins.
- Avoid leaving food in vehicles.
BEAR ENCOUNTER TIPS
Black bear encounters in California rarely lead to injury, however, bear behavior can be unpredictable. Please observe the following guidelines if you encounter a black bear:
- Never approach a bear, especially when it is eating! Rather, make noise to alert the bear of your presence, make yourself appear as big as possible by raising your arms, and back away slowly.
- If you encounter a bear in a facility, back away and exit the building quickly.
- If the bear does not leave, stay in a safe location, and call 911 for assistance.
- Alert any other people in the area to not enter the building until clear.
Thanks for being BEAR AWARE!