NOTE: The rules on this page describe the Tahoe Donner STR Rules. In late 2020 the Town of Truckee enacted additional STR Rules, some of which are most strict than Tahoe Donner’s. Complete the mandatory Town STR Registration and learn more here.

  • What is a short-term rental?

    Short-term rentals (“STRs”) are residential properties in the Tahoe Donner development that are offered for rent or lease for one or more terms of less than thirty-one (31) continuous nights.

  • Who must register, and what is the deadline?

    If I Currently Rent My Home as an STR:
    Owners currently registered as an STR property will be given 60-days to register with Tahoe Donner enforcement of late or non-compliant registrants starting March 1, 2019.

    If I Decide to Rent My Home as an STR:
    Owners who begin a short-term rental program of their home after January 1, 2019, will have 30-days to register with Tahoe Donner.

    As a reminder, if you begin renting your home as a short-term rental, you are also subject to registering with the Town of Truckee for the Transient Occupancy Tax.

  • When do I register?

    Registration opened on January 1, 2019.

  • What is the cost of registration?

    There is no registration fee at this time.

  • What information do I need for registration?

    Be prepared to provide:

    • Property owner contact info: email, phone, mailing address
    • Up to 3 other designated persons contact info: email, phone
    • Number of bedrooms in the home
    • Town of Truckee Transient Occupancy Tax Certificate number
  • Where and how do I register?

    Registration is available through

    Registering is a simple process of completing an online form. Hard copy forms are available if a member does not want to complete the online form. The form can be mailed to Tahoe Donner Association 11509 Northwoods Blvd., Truckee, CA 96161 or emailed to

  • How will I know my registration is complete?

    Once you complete the registration form and submit it staff will confirm receipt of registration along with detailed information and resources via email.

  • What happens if I do not register?

    To avoid enforcement procedures for non-compliance, owners currently renting their homes as short-term rentals must register within the January 1 through February 28, 2019 timeframe. For owners who start renting their home as an STR, they must register within 30 days of commencing the rental. Should an owner not register with Tahoe Donner, a notice of violation will be sent followed by a hearing and possible fines and suspension of amenity rights for non-compliance of the rules.

  • Who is the enforcing body for STR rules?

    Tahoe Donner compliance staff within the Community Standards Office facilitates the day-to-day operation of all Covenants Rules enforcement including the STR rules. The Covenants Rules, which include the STR rules, are enforced by the Covenants Committee under the delegation and direction of the Board of Directors.

  • What are the fines for non-compliance of STR rules?

    A violation of any of the Covenants Private Property Rules, which includes the STR rules, may result in a fine of $400 for the first violation, $800 for the second violation, and $1600 for the third violation, all occurring within a one-year period from the first hearing, including garbage spills. Garbage Spill, 2nd violation $800.00. Tree and/or vegetation removal, $200 to $5,000 per tree involved, plus replacement.

    Fire safety rule violations start at $1,000 and up to $5,000 per incident.

    Fines may be assessed, per incident, on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis according to the nature and severity of the infraction and at the discretion of the Covenants Committee. See TDA Covenants Rules Section V: Schedule of Fines, Penalties for full text.

  • If my renters break any of the TDA Covenants Rules, including STR rules, can I be fined?

    Yes, all owners are responsible for violations that may occur at their property including members, guests and renters. Fines and other disciplinary actions can only be levied on the owner.

  • What if I decide to no longer short-term rent my property?

    You can cancel your registration by emailing anytime.

  • What do I do if my contact info or other contact person’s info changes?

    You can update your contact information any time by emailing